Founded in 1979, the Hermann Arts Council has been making a difference in the community by focusing on advancing cultural awareness and promoting the arts and art education for over 35 years.
Below is a brief history of the city ordinances that established and shaped the Hermann Arts Council:
09/10/1979 – Ordinance 797 was approved establishing a five (5) member Arts Council. The council was established primarily to obtain a grant from the Missouri Arts Council for a performance of the St. Louis Symphony.
02/11/1980 – Ordinance 811 repealed Section 2 of Ordinance 797. Section 2 governed the number of members on the Council; Ordinance 811 increased the number of members to seven (7) from the original five (5).
07/30/1981 – Ordinance 862 repealed Ordinance 797 and most of Ordinance 811. Ordinance 862 more formally established the Arts Council. The number of members was increased to nine (9), term limits were established and the by-laws of the Arts Council were established by Ordinance 862.
12/09/1996 – Ordinance 1245 was approved increasing the number of council members to 12.